Monday, January 12, 2015

Whoopierific Ways to Keep Resolutions

Do you think that actually going to the yoga class is more beneficial than walking around in stretch pants all day?  There IS a plus to looking like a OOOOOmanista with a green juice.  For istance, I feel flexible.  It's easy to get in and out of my car with packages.  And people think I worked out.  Guess it doesn't really meet the resolution to practice getting more grounded.  Yoga is supposed to be such a good stress reliever.  My issue is that when I do my downward dog, I end up sounding like Queen LaQueefa.  That's not zen, it's freaking noisy.  

According to Forbes magazine, only 8% of us will keep our New Years Resolutions.  It's freaking hard to change.  Some experts say that to break a habit, you have to replace it with a new habit. They suggest we rewire the brain with a new, positive trigger, and reward yourself.   Guess that means to get the benefit of a downward dog, I'll need to do an online class in private, and treat myself to a green juice in public.  This is making me feel so grounded.  It really is a practice.

Watch my take on ways to make resolutions stick or read more ideas below...
 

Say you want to exercise more.  Join a gym with a friend.   The accountability of having a buddy with you will actually keep you showing up.  Take a class that is enjoyable.  You are more likely to stick to anything if you add an element of fun.  Zumba is hit and half because we shake it like a Polaroid. 

Want more happiness?   Try a celebratory attitude by finding a reason to celebrate the every day.  It can be simple - I didn't yell at my kids today.  Or, whoo hoo, I slept 8 hours last night.  Some people might put this in the gratitude category.  There are oodles of unique "holidays" if you need a little extra help.  Last week was Elvis' birthday so we had pb & banana sammies for dinner.  Next week there is National Hug Day.  I resolve to try the "more-than-you-were-expecting" hug on a few people. 

DAYS TO CELEBRATE THIS WEEK:
1/13 Tuesday - Make Your Dream Come True Day.  Better than a resolution, this is buket list material for dreaming big.  Check out Before I Die http://beforeidie.cc/site/  Candy Change painted an abandoned building with chalkboard paint and started a movement. 
Anyone walking by could pick up a piece of chalk, reflect on their lives, and share their personal aspirations in public space.
Anyone walking by could pick up a piece of chalk, reflect on their lives, and share their personal aspirations in public space.
Anyone walking by could pick up a piece of chalk, reflect on their lives, and share their personal aspirations in public space.
Before I die I want to _______.” Anyone walking by could pick up a piece of chalk, reflect on their lives, and share their personal aspirations in public space.

1/14 Wednesday - Dress Your Pet Day:  Oh gawd!  

1/15 National Hat Day:  As if we didn't wear enough hats!  Pick your favorite actual hat or don a metaphoric one. 

1/19 MLK Day of Service - Get out there and help somebody.  If you have kids, check out the shelters.  They often need people to volunteer to make sandwiches.  They also gave us a tour of the facility and it was good for the kids to see where the ladies sleep.  All bunk beds are not created equally.

Whoop it Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment