Wednesday, October 1, 2014

WANDER FULL - Why travel makes us happy



Shouldn't I be annoying happy if travel brings joy?  Just this year, I've been to Greece, New Orleans, the Hamptons, New York City, Disney, Idaho and have plans for an upcoming journey to off the grid in West Virginia.  The hotel rooms do not have televisions.  (We are taking the kids so wish us luck on that adventure.)  However, lately The Whoopie Queen has had to practice her own advice to up the happy factor in her life. It probably sounds silly that I'm feeling blue because my son is now a middle schooler and is throwing teenage shade my way.  Being a good parent is the hardest job I've every had!  I'm also embarrassed that I find building a company a lot tougher than I thought it would be.  I long for city life even though I'm in the burbs.  I desire more girlfriend time.  Several of my work programs haven't taken off like I thought they would.  I feel out of control. In the past, when this feeling occurred, I would either rearrange the furniture, clean the house, or chop off my hair.  I have lots of tools now but I'm pulling a crazy one out of the hat.

This time, I choose to plan a trip and there is scientific research to back up the truth that it will put a swing in my step.  A study published in the journal of Applied Research in Quality of Life showed that a vacation affects happiness.  The largest boost comes from the simple act of planning a vacation.  The happy factor lasts for approximately 8 weeks.  Plan a trip and reap the benefits.  The New York Times article is on the link at the bottom of this post. 

The volcano in Santorini is still smokin'!
My love for travel attracted a friend named Megan King who is an adventure queen, using travel as a metaphor to create a great journey in life. She interviewed me on her radio show this morning and it occurred to me that my take on travel is like my take on life - if you are in the moment, you will discover something special.  We talked about some unexpected findings on my trips:  I thought I was eating tofu in Morocco, the volcano in Santorini had steam billowing out of the holes, The Footpath of the Gods in Positano, and what I saw when I broke my legs on a mountain in Vancouver.  All were revelations that ended up being out of the ordinary: sheep brains, sulfur, 1000 steps, and a man not wearing underwear.  More on the interview... http://www.blogtalkradio.com/findyouradventure/2014/10/01/whats-your-adventure-tales-from-the-road

Money spent on experience has been shown to induce happiness more than material goods.  It is about making memories, learning something new, and having surprises in life.  That's what I call makin' whoopie!


No comments:

Post a Comment