Wednesday, September 24, 2014

DANCE WITH ENDORPHINS - What exercise does for the brain

Why DANCE WITH ENDORPHINS?  Because exercise has a profound effect on our happiness.  It helps ease anxiety and depression, improves sleep, boost energy, increases creativity, sharpens the memory, reduces cognitive decline and more. 

I know this for certain -I ALWAYS FEEL BETTER AFTER I EXERCISE.  The other day I was feeling blue, dealing with the loneliness of working from home.  I need to be around people and yet I work alone. It's easy to spiral downward.   I had a meeting with myself and decided to do the very last thing I wanted to do -  shake, shake it off.  A class of body pump pushes the nasty out of my head, although I need to find a hot tub because my massive muscles get sore!

 
What triggers happiness in our brain when we exercise?
There's a connection to our brain with our mood, and exercising stimulates feeling better. Bufferapp says when you start exercising, your brain recognizes this as a moment of stress. So as your heart pressure increases, the brain thinks you are either fighting the enemy or fleeing from it. To protect you, your brain releases a protein called BDNF  (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor). This boosts your memory neurons and acts as a reset switch. 
That's why we often feel so at ease and things seem more clear after exercising.  At the same time, endorphins are released, which block the feeling and pain in exchange for euphoria -- making you feel happy! 
So there you have it.  Get your happy on by shaking your groove thing!

Cyndy, The Whoopie Queen  
Hugs,
Cyndy, The Whoopie Queen 

No comments:

Post a Comment