Thursday, November 13, 2014

4 Tips So You Don't Lose It This Thanksgiving!


I have an uncle I see during the holidays who always picks me up and squeezes me so tight that I often feel bad for my panties.  Oh, the joys of family.  Because the holidays make people go nuts, here are 4 tips to put in your unbuckled tool belt which should keep you from losing it at turkey time.

1.  Take the Road Less Traveled.  Sheeeeez, while you're at it, take the easy road, it will make all the difference!  For instance, this year, I am NOT buying a turkey that I have to pluck. I shot my first bird just yesterday...scared everyone in the frozen food section.  Ok, for real, I will do things so that I am not a hot mess prepping all day, full of resentment.  I will buy pies from the bakery.   Slicing and dicing will go down 1-2 days before national-stuff-your-face day.  This year, crock pot stuffing recipe makes it debut (at the bottom of this post). 


2.  Make "The List." - “The List” has been a marriage saver.  When we have a party or holiday meal with lots to do, we “put it on the list.”   It is neutral and indicates what needs to be done without me "barking" orders.  Include it all:  pull out the card table, put in new candles, set the table, menu plan, grocery shop, brine turkey, prep veggies, string party lights, vacuum, and even the assignment for the errand person who will go out and find those cloves you forgot.  Go over it and divide up the duties with your partner. 


3.  Create a New Tradition.  This one is super easy - GRATITUDE ROLLS.  Have your guests write on parchment paper what they are grateful for and roll the paper in crescent rolls.  It's a poppin' fresh show at dinner. 





4.   Add Some Fun. 
  • Have pie first in that hour and half when things are supposed to be ready but they're not.  "Desserts" is "stressed" spelled backwards. A little, sneaky slice makes for a sweet time.
  • Tell a turkey tale around the table.  This is a variation on an improv game.  Someone starts with,"Jerry didn’t want to go to Grandma’s for Thanksgiving this year."  The next person adds to the story and so on and so on. OR The bird fell on the floor and...

    • Take pictures and put people into Thanksgiving Jib Jab videos. 
       

       Happy Thanksgiving from The Cecil-Braggs!  Party like it's 1621!

      Bonus:
      Slow Cooker Stuffing video 



      No comments:

      Post a Comment